[ale] need tablet buying advice, bought nook, liked it, returned it

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Apr 5 11:42:44 EDT 2012

On 4/5/2012 6:40 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 23:39 -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

>>> I had done the same going the external route with the SD chip, but was
>>> sort of restricted to using it when the significant other is not home
>>> as the Nook is hers. Well I have been successful in being able to cold
>>> boot Android multiple times. My only issue is that it seems more
>>> geared up for phone than tablet. Is there a way to remove the phone
>>> stuff as klutzy me tends to hit the spots for phone use and of course
>>> it seems to be laughing at me that I don't have a phone. Also I have
>>> noticed that I lose my WiFi when I wake it up from it's nap, and then
>>> later it works. At best I would say WiFi is a bit flaky.
>>>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> I don't know about the phone features.  I think Michael T. and Michael
>> W. use Cyanogenmod.  Maybe they can tell you how to deal with those
>> functions.  You can delete items from the home screens by tapping and
>> holding an icon until a menu appears, then tap the delete icon or
>> continue holding the original icon and drag it to the trash can at the top.
>>
>> I'm making some progress narrowing my selection of tablets by the
>> process of elimination.  If you don't know exactly what you want,
>> sometimes it helps to know what you don't like or can't do without.
>> Reading the spec sheets can be quite confusing and tedious.  Here's some
>> of what I've learned.  I'm eliminating the tablets from consideration
>> with the following features.
>>
>> eliminate - tablets without 2 or more CPU cores - I think good CPU's
>> include but are not limited to: Tegra 2, Rockchip RK30, TI Omap 4.
>> eliminate - tablets with less than 1 GHz CPU frequency
>> eliminate - tablets with less than 1 GB RAM
>> eliminate - tablets with less than 8 GB Flash Memory
>> eliminate - tablets with no front camera - I figure I'm more likely to
>> video chat than use a tablet for photography.
>> eliminate - tablets with screen size less than 1024 x 600 if a 7" screen
>> eliminate - tablets with less than 6 hr battery life playing video -
>> Goodbye Acer Iconia A100.
>> eliminate - tablets with less than Android 3.2 (Honeycomb)
>> eliminate - tablets without a capacitive touch screen
>> eliminate - tablets without an SD card slot (32 GB capacity)
>> eliminate - tablets without auto screen rotation - This means they have
>> a "G Sensor".
>> eliminate - tablets without speakers (if there are any such tablets)
>> eliminate - tablets without a microphone
>> eliminate - tablets without Bluetooth
>> eliminate - tablets without HDMI output - Goodbye Acer Iconia A100 and A200.
>> eliminate - tablets with funky proprietary large connectors instead of
>> multiple small individual standardized connectors - Goodbye Samsung
>> Galaxy Tab.
>> eliminate - tablets that cannot play 1080p video smoothly
>> eliminate - tablets with a price over $ 400
>>
>> Apparently, the "G sensor" could be an accelerometer or a gyroscope.  As
> [...]

Hi Damon,

I saw your prior message and looked at the link you sent.  That does
look like a pretty cool tablet.  Does it REALLY meet all those required
criteria?  I hadn't thought about a Bluetooth keyboard.  Anyway, full
USB is on my nice to have list, as opposed to my required list.  One
thing bugging me about the spec sheet you linked to is that it says
there's no HDMI port.  Now, that was something that is on my required
list, but at this price, I might reconsider that.  I wanted to say
thanks for the info when you sent it before..  I meant to write you back
the first time and hadn't done it yet.  I'll do some more research on
this one.

Sincerely,

Ron