[ale] Cable modem recommendation

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Mon Apr 2 17:25:05 EDT 2012

On 04/02/2012 03:44 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> The next problem coming down the line is switched video, where the
> receiver needs to send a signal upstream to get the TV channel sent to
> the box.  CableCard doesn't support this, but Tru2Way does, though
> we'll probably see Internet streaming takeover before tru2way gets any
> traction.

There are already some cable networks that are using switched video,
though I don't know how extensive it is.  I'm not aware of what Comcast
is doing, though I know that they have at the very least made
preparations for it.  There is one provider in northwest Ohio that has
already rolled out SDV for most of their coverage area.

Also, I don't know why this is, but they aren't required to provide
CC-equipped devices.  For devices that use CCs, they can give additional
equipment in order to provide compatibility with SDV.  However, they
state (on their public page, anyway) that less than 1% of their users
are using cable card equipped devices.[0]  They also have a list of the
channels that they currently switch.[1]

I *think* the idea is that they are only required to make a cable card
available to you upon request; I don't think that they're actually
required to make their own STBs use one.  Such a requirement wouldn't
make much sense at all, since CC registration requires that you provide
information about the device that you are inserting the CC into, in
order for their authorization setups to work.  At least, as I understand it.

I'm pretty much unconcerned with how cable television works these days,
as my only use for cable is for high-speed Internet.  (Funny, that... I
remember when cable modems were relatively new and I thought, "Isn't it
wonderful that we can get 768Kbps connections over the same thing that
feeds our TVs?")  As far as the Internet side works, if I could:

  (a) Obtain a cable modem that has a user-configurable DOCSIS-side
      MAC address, and
  (b) Configure that cable modem to bring me my /28,

I would be one of the happiest people around.  Seriously, I hate this
SMC device on my network *that* much.

Then again, I do have _some_ leeway.  I _can_ sacrifice one IP in order
to provide my own NAT with my own rules for the systems that cannot have
GR IPv4 addresses, and I can use that system as a router for the rest of
my routed network, kinda-sorta (though this dumb device insists on not
honoring routing table entries that have to do with its assigned GR
netblock...).  But that's really a lot of effort when I could just use a
normal, plain-Jane router and IPsec/tunnel configuration... Anyway,
that's a problem for another day.

	--- Mike

[0] http://buckeyecablesystem.com/sdv/
[1] http://buckeyecablesystem.com/sdv/downloads/sdvchannels.pdf