[ale] Printing oddities

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue Sep 27 10:06:10 EDT 2011

We recently moved from one CUPS print server on RHEL5 to a new one on RHEL6.   We brought the printer configs from the former to the latter.

On occasion we’re seeing an issue wherein one of the other servers that we submit print jobs to the print server shows the printer “@printsvr2” instead of just showing the printer as if it were local:

lpstat -t | grep lck
device for lck_sls_2 at printsvr2: ipp://printsvr2:631/printers/lck_sls_2
lck_sls_2 at printsvr2 accepting requests since Tue 13 Sep 2011 01:15:01 PM EDT
printer lck_sls_2 at printsvr2 is idle.  enabled since Tue 13 Sep 2011 01:15:01 PM EDT

After we remove and readd the printer on the print server this same command shows the printer without the “@printsvr2”
lpstat -t |grep lck
device for lck_sls_2: ipp://printsvr2:631/printers/lck_sls_2
lck_sls_2 accepting requests since Tue 27 Sep 2011 09:53:19 AM EDT
printer lck_sls_2 is idle.  enabled since Tue 27 Sep 2011 09:53:19 AM EDT

We need the printer to show up this way as it is accessed from multiple servers that use the same print server.   The underlying application requires the printer name and we don’t really want to have to modify it in the application on multiple hosts.   Also it appears we can’t force the name to show the “@printsvr2” so even if we did change the application there is a danger we’d end up having the opposite problem.

Anyone have any ideas why it sometimes shows this way and what we can do to prevent it or make it revert without having to remove and add the printer again?