[ale] My Fn Keys stopped working - FURTHER OT

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:59:32 EDT 2011

On 09/26/2011 10:10 AM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> In doing tech visits to private homes (back when that was my business)
> I commonly found CD's crammed into cases through the front-panel
> covers.  This was often due to the client's kids trying to play games
> on their computer and usually resulted in the parental response of,
> "So that's where that disk went!"  One of the better ones I witnessed
> was a man standing in line at CompUSA (tech desk) complaining that his
> "drink tray" had broken.  He didn't understand why the hole was so
> small that he couldn't get a cup in it and that the try was so flimsy
> it could barely hold a glass!  I couldn't help but laugh while hiding
> behind a book rack...
>
> One of my funniest tech calls was a grown woman asking me where the
> "Any" key was...that was a good one, but the best was a grown man
> (owner of an insurance agency) leaving a message on the tech v/m at
> the Kotter Group in Lilburn (back in 2003) explaining that he had
> moved his mouse all the way to the left side of the mouse pad but the
> pointer didn't reach the things on the screen.  He needed urgent
> assistance in figuring out how to get the pointer to the far side of
> the screen and that we needed to call him back right away!
>
> I still have that call saved as a file...will post it to the web if
> anyone is interested.  It's a good laugh and absolutely real.  I
> didn't do the call back for this guy...I would have been laughing too
> hard to be of help...(hopefully he would have found it equally funny!)
>
> Rich in Lilburn

While I was working for Quotron Systems in S. Fla. I was on a call at a
Payne Webber office working on a down system. I get an urgent call from
my office that I had to stop what I was doing and rush over to a Dean
Witter office whose Branch Manager keyboard had stopped working. He
insisted that his was a more urgent matter than the one I was at since
that office had just lost half of their brokers so he felt that they
didn't need a running system there. He was also calling Dean Witter's
NYC office complaining about getting such poor service. I got there and
of course he was all over me about how I should have immediately come to
his aid and that they were not going to pay this month's bill since we
didn't live up to our guaranteed 99.9% uptime that's in the contract,
and I'm just a meager low tech so I should jump when he orders because
it could mean millions of $$$. After he ranted and raved I found that
his keyboard was definitely dead, I switched it out with the onsite
spare keyboard which I personally had told him in the past several times
was there. Then as I picked up the dead keyboard holding it up at
shoulder height on its side, I felt cold liquid running down my arm, and
I could see that it was dark colored, so I turned back to Mr. VIP, and
asked, "Did you have a cup of coffe this morning while punching up your
morning stock quotes?" No answer, but heard a lot of laughter from
different ares in the office.

In my failure report I included the I had found coffee had been spillt
on the keyboard which converted that service cal to a billable call. The
next time I saw Mr. VIP he was just a lowly broker's assistance at
another office. I guess one shouldn't cry over spilled milk or in this
case coffee.