[ale] Fwd: LTSP Thinclients

James Baker jimbakerforlinux at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 21:53:54 EDT 2011

Forwarded to the list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	LTSP Thinclients
Date: 	Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:26:57 -0400
From: 	Fred Mayea <webfred at live.com>
To: 	ale at ale.org <ale at ale.org>

Hello Jeff,
I was forwarded your email regarding thin clients. Currently at my employer, I have over 50 thin terminals. They are http://www.disklessworkstations.com/200123.html from diskless workstations. The server is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Our configuration is bit massive, since we run everything from the server, but from reading your post, 3 terminals on any run of the mill modern machine would be just fine.

I would concentrate on having about 8 Gigs of ram, and a good multicore processor, i5 or i7. Xeon processors perform best in this scenario, but for your needs, desktop processors should be fine. 100/1000 would work very nicely.

We have yet to move to a newer version of Ubuntu (you can use your distro of choice), since we are not in need of any cutting edge software, so it is extremely stable. We found Ubuntu gave us the best starting configuration right out of the box, so custom configuration was based on a known good, working platform.

So to recap, more ram, than processor for your setup would be appropriate, but also evaluate which applications are going to be in your day to day routine use, and weigh that into considering a little more processing power. Also consider a back up solution and a recovery plan, once everything lives on the server, that will be your single point of failure, be ready.

I hope you find this useful, if you need more detail or would like to know more about our specific setup, please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Fred Mayea

Sent from my iPad