[ale] kjournald?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Mon Sep 19 16:15:54 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM, John Heim <john at johnheim.net> wrote:
>        What (if anything) does it mean if iotop shows that the process
> doing the most disk I/O is kjournald? Actually, on 4 partitions that I have
> on an ISCSI array, the kjournald process is the top I/O on each.
>
> I'm thinking of setting the noatime option in my fstab.

It means that the journal on those disks is being written to a lot.
Typically, you'll see this with lots of small writes.  Each write
requires the following:

1) Write change to journal.
2) Write change to filesystem.
3) Mark change as done in journal.

So that's 2 journal writes for every FS write.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com