[ale] WooHoo!! PostgreSQL 9.1!

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Sep 18 08:26:05 EDT 2011

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Most of the horsepower of oracle but all open source.  Has more data types
> than any other. And now has security features exceeding oracle. DBA can't by

I've been on the fence about moving future development efforts towards
either Maria or PostgreSQL. I used PostgreSQL a lot in the
late 1990's and swapped because my focus went towards smaller simpler
web applications and MySQL was more common.

MySQL is awesome, and I learned that if you treat it like
a flat file database (not an RDBMS) it can do wonders.
But it has limits. The lack of a crosstab function
was my first scream into the void. (Yeah, I did the work-arounds
and made my own crosstab functions)

The tone of your emails and the features touted by yourselves
and digging around the PostgreSQL website made me realize
that it was time to build a basic app, using PostgreSQL
and march down that road again to see where it goes.

That road leads away from Oracle. :)

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the excellent
rational lengthy emails several of you have posted.