[ale] ALE-NW SSH Presentation Slides

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:59:41 EDT 2011

Looks good, but it also looks like you left out the -D switch. For
those times when you are feeling a little too restricted by the
network admins, the -D switch comes to the rescue. Using this switch,
your ssh session acts as a SOCKS proxy to the remote server.

Example:

user at local# ssh -D 5555 ssh.example.com
user at remote#

Now, on your local machine, point any SOCKS aware applications (e.g.
Firefox) at "127.0.0.1:5555" and all traffic generated by that program
will go through the ssh connection.

If your local machine is running OS X, go to System Preferences >
Network > Advanced > Proxies to enable the SOCKS proxy for _all_
network traffic on the system (except for the nets you specifically
tell it not to). Also, you might be interested in [1]. It makes
setting up non-interactive ssh port forwarding (local, remote, and
SOCKS) really easy.

[1] -- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ssh-tunnel-manager/id424470626?mt=12
or http://projects.tynsoe.org/en/stm/index.php

--