[ale] SSH attempts

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Mon Sep 12 17:40:02 EDT 2011

Usually the hackers will try up to 1000 passwords on common accounts.  I
know someone who had a root password of "password" and one who had
"root1234" (without quotes) on Internet-connected *nix systems.  I got
one to change in time; the other got hacked.

Unless you monitor for unsuccessful attacks you don't know how hard they
are trying and how close they are getting.

It's my experience that even many of the best System Administrators do
not know what makes a hard-to-break password without education.  I had
the pleasure to provide that to ALE last month and it's in the book.
Aaron should have that talk's video available some time this month for
free viewing by ALE members.

I highly recommend PortSentry for locking out port scanners.

Moving ssh to a different port will NOT stop a hacker who knows what she
is doing.  Allowing log in only via a ssh public key or only from a
short list of IPs with a very strong password will stop anyone (unless
that private key or allowed IP's system is hacked).

Disabling root ssh and requiring one first to ssh in through another
account and su'ing or sudo'ing to root is not as effective as the above
solutions and may diminish security, in my opinion.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... Bob