[ale] SSH attempts

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:05:01 EDT 2011

According to the PortSentry logs for my server, I have received thousands of
connection attempts via SSH port 22.  Of course, that is not the port the
real SSH service is listening on. Logins were also disabled for root.

What's interesting is the IP addresses all belong to Serverloft (
www.serverloft.eu); most attempts came from 188.138.32.16 (
loft4385.serverloft.eu).  I am guessing someone with a few VPS boxes has
nothing better to do than use up network bandwidth to terrorize the rest of
us.  Or, maybe those boxes have been compromised.

I have e-mailed the folks over over at Serverloft, but I don't expect
anything of it.  Is there anything else I can do?