[ale] [OT] Wide Screen monitors / using screen real estate

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Sep 8 17:47:25 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post something a bit light hearted, since I usually post
serious stuff.

Every once in a while, I save up enough money to get some new tech
toys.  I just got my hands on an LG 23" 1080p wide screen monitor, to
replace a 19" "square" monitor that I had.  I TOTALLY love it.  It has
almost as much vertical space as the old one, and having the extra side
to side electronic real estate is great.  I've noticed that many web
pages, particularly forums, are not set up to handle reduced width
properly, and don't reflow text very well.  So, I read part of a line
then scroll over to read the rest then scroll back.  I use treestyle tab
in Firefox to make a vertical bar of all my tabs, which reduces the
width a bit more.  That problem won't happen with the Firefox window
almost 2 feet wide.  However, generally, I'll probably either tile two
windows side by side on the monitor, or have one window take up 2/3 of
the width and do something else with the rest of the space.

So, that's what I have the question about.  Note, that I routinely
alternate between Windows and Ubuntu.  So, these questions apply equally
to either.  I know some of you work with Windows too, so feel free to
send me tips for that as well as Linux.  The apps involved don't have to
be the same on both platforms, but that would be nice.  I routinely
leave about 1" to 1.5" at the bottom of my screen to leave space for cpu
monitors, background processes I'm monitoring, terminal windows, weather
data, etc.  Now I am going to be leaving about 1/3 of the width of my
screen open (unless I need it) for similar things.  This works out to be
about 6" of width.

At the very least, I'd like to be able to place any or all of the
following in this empty real estate:

* Video.  Like YouTube, etc.  Could also be a video file, like an MP4, etc.

I know I can play video files in Windows with Media Player and in Linux
with Totem or whatever Ubuntu comes with.  These applications seem to
scale to a reduced size pretty well.  I don't think I've tried to go
really small with Totem.  However, I haven't found a good way to scale a
flash streaming video like YouTube very well.  I know I can use the zoom
out (ctrl and -) function in Firefox, then drag the window off the edge
of the screen so only the video shows.  But that's really messy, and it
makes it impossible to read the website again without zooming back in.
I'd like a better solution to that.  So, I need a way to play video,
resized to whatever space is available on the screen, even very tiny,
whether from flash or a media file, in Linux or Windows.

* Weather Radar

I'd like a live weather radar showing the metro area, updated
continuously or at 5-10 minute intervals, that never times out, and that
never reverts to the local meteorologist moving the radar picture in and
out and zooming around.  It needs to be sizable to any available screen
space just as with the video.  Now, I know I can point my web browser to
weather.com and get a flash based radar map.  The problem is that it
times out fairly rapidly and is not easily scalable due to the flash
issues discussed above.  I'd like to do the same thing on either Linux
or Windows.

* CPU monitor.

Here's the deal.  In Ubuntu, in Gnome, I can use two panel applets to
monitor the CPU.  One is the system monitor, which gives a basic graph
of the CPU utilization.  The other is the CPU Frequency Scaling
Monitor.  This allows me to monitor any CPU core and tell what frequency
it's operating at, so I can see when the frequency is reduced during
light demand or increased in heavy demand.  By loading multiples of the
FSM, I can monitor the frequency of each core.  That's very handy to
observe how heavily loaded each core is.  On the windows side of the
fence, Task Manager is my go to tool.  It displays a graph of the
utilization of each core.  The problem is that it doesn't display the
frequency, and it cannot be scaled down less than about 1.5" x 4".  So,
what I want is something which will display a utilization graph of every
core, and display the real time frequency of every core (as a number,
not a graph), and will be resizeable to any size, placeable to any
location, on either operating system.

Suggestions for other cool small size apps are welcome.

I was going to talk about Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games,
but I'll do that in a separate message.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron