[ale] linux VM & iscsi array

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Sep 8 14:26:13 EDT 2011

If you're sharing it out from a Linux (or UNIX) system I *think* you can share it both as NFS and as CIFS using Samba.   Have the Linux/Apple (which has a UNIX kernel behind the scenes) use the NFS share and the Windoze clients use the CIFS share. I haven't done this myself so don't know what kind of file locking issues (or lack thereof) you might run into if the same file is being modified simultaneously on an NFS mount and a CIFS mount.   Since you say it is for home directories I'm guessing the individual home directories won't be accessed simultaneously as you seemed to indicate previously your users have either Windoze, Linux or Apple but not two of the three (or all three).

If locking becomes an issue then yes use CIFS and Samba mounts on the Linux/Apple clients and native Windoze mounts on the windoze clients.