[ale] ER Diagrams

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Sep 6 15:05:02 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-relationship_model
>
> ER diagramming tools
>
> There are many ER diagramming tools. Some free software ER diagramming tools
> that can interpret and generate ER models and SQL and do database analysis
> are MySQL Workbench (formerly DBDesigner), and Open ModelSphere
> (open-source). A freeware ER tool that can generate database and application
> layer code (webservices) is the RISE Editor. The Open Source Erviz takes a
> simple textual description of the ERD and then uses Graphviz to
> automatically produce a layout. The web application TinyModeler allows you
> to make ER diagrams in a web browser.
>
> Some of the proprietary ER diagramming tools are ARIS, Avolution, Aqua Data
> Studio, dbForge Studio for MySQL, DeZign for Databases, ER/Studio, Devgems
> Data Modeler, ERwin, MEGA International, ModelRight, OmniGraffle, Oracle
> Designer, Oracle Data Modeler, PowerDesigner, Rational Rose, Sparx
> Enterprise Architect, SQLyog, System Architect, Toad Data Modeler, SQL
> Maestro, Microsoft Visio, Visible Analyst, and Visual Paradigm.
>
> Some free software diagram tools just draw the shapes without having any
> knowledge of what they mean, nor do they generate SQL. These include yEd,
> LucidChart, Gliffy,[13] Kivio, and Dia. DIA diagrams, however, can be
> translated with tedia2sql.

I guess I should have explicitly stated that I'd read the Wikipedia
article.  There are no fewer than 20 tools mentioned there, including
a half-dozen free software tools.  However, I was assuming that the
list there might not be comprehensive, and that the members of the
list might have something subjective to share regarding the quality or
usefulness of the tools, whereas Wikipedia strives to maintain a
purely objective standpoint.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com