[ale] ER Diagrams

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Sep 6 14:28:44 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 13:57 -0400, Pete Hardie wrote:
> Dia?

That would be one possibility but I've largely given up on Dia down
through the years just for lack of compatibility and import/export with
other applications.  Obviously, native Visio compatibility would be
wonderful but, what's there is, errr, primitive at best.  Dia does have
the advantage of a nice rich shape library collection and collections
you can add  No question there.

ER Diagrams seem pretty simple, almost akin to flow charts.  Those
things could easily be done in just about any 2D CD app like QCad or a
raster graphics package like OpenOffice Draw.  I've had to do similar
diagrams for presentation and opted for the later largely because they
were going into either OO Writer or OO Presents.  I've reserved using
QCad for doing more architectural type drawings but could easily do the
same in there.

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 13:49, David Tomaschik <david at systemoverlord.com> wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good open source tool for drawing ER diagrams?
> >
> > --
> > David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
> > System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
> > http://systemoverlord.com
> > david at systemoverlord.com

> --
> Pete Hardie