[ale] OT - New encryption technology using a piece of paper

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Sep 6 12:53:11 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 09:53 -0400, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hi David,

> I posted the original message on this topic.  Actually, the party never
> got started very well.  The discussion drifted into whether pass phrases
> are better (sometimes they are) or whether password cards are better
> (sometimes they are).  However, the merits of the OTG system for it's
> intended purpose were never discussed in any depth.

Ok...  As long as we want to refocus back on that.  As a cryptographer,
I will pick several bones with monsieur Gibson.

As you may have already noted, any time his name comes up in certain
circles, it evokes strong reactions.  Some swear by him and some swear
at him and some of us look in on him once in a while (I'm not unfamiliar
with his site) just for shits and giggles and a good belly laugh if we
are in a good mood for one.  Most of the time I just shake my head and
look the other way.  He keeps the natives entertained...  Sigh...

First bone.  This is NOT encryption.  This is a simple "Latin square"
substitution cipher.  That's all.  No transposition even.

He claims it's secure.  No self respecting cryptographer would make a
claim that a substitution cipher is "secure".  We have a hard enough
time just making or swallowing any sorts of claims that a system is
"secure".  "Secure" is a relative term.  Secure for what value of
security?  Secure against what forms of attacks?  Secure against what
element of information leakage?  Broad sweeping claims of something
being secure immediate swing my bullshit meter into action.

His claim that "This “Off The Grid” technology is the only known system
to provide secure encryption using nothing but a specially designed
piece of paper."  Even given that it is NOT encryption, his claim is
bogus on multiple levels.  Such ciphers have been known about an
analyzed for years.  And it is not secure.  And it is not the only nor
the first.

He claims it's future proof.  Well, I may have to buy that argument.  It
may well be just as bad in the future as it is today.  He's got me
there.

What is the problem set it seeks to address?  It seeks to address
password reuse.  In that regard alone, it may have some value.  Password
reuses is one of the biggest problems we have with a lot of users.

Pen and pencil ciphering has been around back to to ancient times.  This
much is not new.  His grid is not new.  He even references Latin Squares
in his description.  But he does a lot of hand waving and provides no
mathematically rigid proof to his claims as to the security of "his"
system.  In his FAQ he tries to make claims of making up for claiming
that they are replacing the 2^128 "complexity" of AES with some huge
amount of "entropy" by saying "The entropy of Latin Squares is so large
that no one even knows how large it is!"  My bullshit meter was pegged
bent and broken right off the top right there.  Not only are his
arguments NOT mathematically rigid, that gave me the impression he was
pulling numbers out of a place where the sun simply does not shine.  He
effort to argue that the 128 bits in AES was "complexity" while he was
added some other secret ingredient "entropy" really just blew my mind.

In some spots he's juxtaposing numbers in a way that is simply
mathematical gibberish.  He claims to come up with 2400^6 possibly
combinations but that's logically impossible with the limited character
set.  He's obsessed with the procedural pairing that he's lost sight of
the simple fact that a password matches or it doesn't whether it was
derived from a domain name or not.  6 characters from a character set of
72 characters only has 72^6 bits of entropy (or complexity or what ever
he's trying to hide in the blue smoke of his argument),

YES!  He has an interesting system that does work with paper and pencil
and gives you a way to come up with unique passwords for web sites.  It
helps eliminate password reuse.  But the passwords are no more secure
than a lot of other systems out there and, who cares if it's paper and
pencil or a random generator in your password safe?  A key logger is
still going to own your shorts.  A password sniffer will still get it.
A compromised hash database is still going to get busted (especially if
its a short password - anything less than 12 is toast).

Bruce Schneier has always had a term for that which I never mind
quoting:  Snake Oil.  Trust it.  Secure.  Says so, right on the bottle.

Regards,
Mike