[ale] OT - New encryption technology using a piece of paper

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Sep 6 11:05:34 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 09:53 -0400, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I posted the original message on this topic.  Actually, the party never
> got started very well.  The discussion drifted into whether pass phrases
> are better (sometimes they are) or whether password cards are better
> (sometimes they are).  However, the merits of the OTG system for it's
> intended purpose were never discussed in any depth.  The intended
> purpose is to allow average users to easily create moderate length
> cryptographically strong passwords that are unique for each site they
> visit.  The sites in question, many times, will not accept long complex
> passwords.  Furthermore, the system allows the user to create said
> passwords without using anything other than the piece of paper with the
> grid on it.  All they need to traverse the grid is the domain name of
> interest.  They don't have to remember any key code to get them to their
> password (as in pass cards), and they can use the password in places
> where a pass phrase will not be accepted, unless it's a very short pass
> phrase.  As I mentioned in one of the posts, I deal with two sites which
> will only accept 8 character passwords, so even the default method of
> the OTG system which generates a 12 character upper / lower case
> password won't work.  If desired, entropy of the final password can be
> increased by adding length, symbols, or numbers.  I am currently
> evaluating all these methods to go to a system of having one password
> for every website.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet.  I may end up
> using something like OTG to generate some passwords and something like
> LastPass to enter them into websites automatically.  Then I can save the
> grid for later reference.  At sites where pass phrases of decent length
> will work, I'll probably use those.  As I see it, the pros and cons for
> each method are:
>
> * Pass Phrases - easiest to remember, if you have a dozen - probably
> still have to write down, long ones or ones with symbols won't work for
> many sites, good entropy if they're long, if attacker knows you're using
> words separated by spaces, his search for your pass phrase becomes much
> easier

No it doesn't.  If he knows that you are using 6 words all in lower case
separated by a single space coming from 2048 words (assuming he even
knows your entire lexicon - change it how you want), the chances of him
guessing your password are one chance in 73786976294838206464 (2^66) per
guess.  That might just give him reason to shake his head an walk off.

The xkcd example of 4 words from a similar lexicon gives you one chance
in 17592186044416 (2^44) per guess.  He's still not going to brute force
that.