[ale] [ADMIN] Partner opportunity for an Employment Listing Service

Damon Chesser dchesser at acsi2000.com
Tue Sep 6 08:46:53 EDT 2011

Approved.

Damon Chesser
dchesser at acsi2000.com
damon at damtek.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Aaron Ruscetta
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 2:46 AM
To: ALE
Cc: Nate
Subject: [ale] [ADMIN] Partner opportunity for an Employment Listing Service

I've marked this thread with an [ADMIN] heading because we
are seeking general approval for a proposal that that could
improve our (linux) employment listing service for both ALE
members and site visitors, as well as improve our visibilit
in broader Linux communities.

I spent about an hour on the phone with last week with Nate
from JobThread (cc) getting the details of an offer for ALE to
become a JobThread "publisher" partner for their internet
job listing service.

JobThread is a commercial internet company with a business
model built on a network of publishing partners.  Employers
("advertisers") pay a fee (for each application received) to
advertise employment opportunities through JobThread's
network of partner ("publisher") web sites. The publishers
[can choose to] share in the revenue generated by job
applications posted through their site links. The partners
can filter what jobs get listed through their site links and
also choose whether "advertisements" posted through
their links are free or not.

The arrangement is explained officially in more detail here:
<http://www.jobthread.com/how-it-work>

Linux.com is a JobThread partner and a good example of
the filtering control since they only present job listings that
have the "Linux" keyword in the job title. See the Linux Jobs
panel near the bottom of the right column here:
<https://www.linux.com/>
which will redirect you to the associated JobsThread page
here:  <http://jobs.linux.com/>

After walking through the process of signing on with
JobThread I'm convinced that this is a service that
would be of benefit to ALE members.  I'm comfortable
that this can be integrated easily and seamlessly into
both our web site and our existing ale-jobs mailing list
because we will be able to allow local postings for
free and filter the postings that appear on jobs.ale.org
to those with relevance to Linux and FLOSS.  I also
think having this service on our site will improve
our visibility in the wider FLOSS community.

The only sticking point is handling the revenue,
since ALE does not have a formal infrastructure
for accepting donations.  We could simply decline
any revenue sharing money we might be entitled
to, but then it occurred to me that we should just
have the money donated directly to worthy 501c3
organization supporting the global FLOSS
community, and the Electronic Frontiers Foundation
came immediately to mind.

If there are serious objections to ALE becoming
a publisher partner with JobThread, please speak
up and we can discuss the proposal further.
If we don't see any majority objections here by
mid week, Jim Kinney and I will proceed with
setting this up on behalf of ALE.

peace
aaron
ALE Events Coordinator (etc)