[ale] RHEL 5 will not allow login from Console

John Temple cjtemple at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:34:44 EDT 2011

I have a RHEL 5 VM system that will not allow us to login from the console.
We have tried to use both a valid user and root, for both of them after
entering the username "Invalid Username" (or something like that) flashes
and then we are returned to the login prompt. We have also tried booting
into single user mode by editing the grub command line. No dice there
either. Any suggestions on how to get the system back up?

A couple of things that we have noticed:
1. When the VM boots the system displays a couple of failures most noteably
iptables and xinetd.
2. A few weeks ago a co-worker said that he had trouble with the system
saying that it was in read only mode.

--
John Temple
cjtemple at gmail.com