[ale] Fire in da hole! Infrastructure maintenance warning!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Oct 28 17:46:53 EDT 2011

Hey all!

For a variety of reasons (including updating for the jobs.ale.com
redirection) we're doing a little overdue remodeling on our
infrastructure.  Part of this is updating our DNS infrastructure and
domain registration.  This will be happening over the next few days and
SHOULD result in no disruption to your regularly scheduled chaos as both
systems will operate in parallel and in sync for a while.  It does NOT
impact the web site or the mailing lists themselves but DNS impacts
EVERYTHING.

Should something NOT work right, please excuse our dust but PLEASE let
us know by contacting some of us directly (if the ALE DNS gets fubared,
I think you can understand why).  Chances will be really good that we
will already know about it but there's always the chance we don't, so
just drop myself or Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> or Aaron a note
and let us know what happened (detailed errors are always appreciated).

Chances are really really slim that anything will go wrong, but you know
Murphy's law (and then there's O'Shea's law that says that Murphy was an
optimist).

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Mike