[ale] Slimmed down version of JRE

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Oct 28 09:46:02 EDT 2011

On 10/27/11 11:23 PM, Erik Mathis wrote:
> I need to add java to some Dell thinclients. Without java the image is
> about 460M. With Suns disto of java it adds another 160M to the image.
> Is there a slimmer version of jre that I can install? I really just
> need javaws working. Looking though the package I dont see any
> sufficient savings from deleting any of the obvious things. Most of
> the bulk is in the lib directory, but I'm not really sure what I can
> delete from there. Any suggestions?
>
> -Erik-
Have a look at what's available in Portage for Gentoo Linux (irrelevant
search hits removed):

fozzie jeff # emerge --search jre
Searching...
[ Results for search key : jre ]
[ Applications found : 7 ]

*  dev-java/diablo-jre-bin [ Masked ]
       Latest version available: 1.6.0.07.02
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of files: 28,045 kB
       Homepage:http://www.FreeBSDFoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
       License:       sun-bcla-java-vm

*  dev-java/ibm-jre-bin
       Latest version available: 1.6.0.9_p2
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of files: 270,120 kB
       Homepage:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/
       License:       IBM-J1.6

*  dev-java/oracle-jre-bin [ Masked ]
       Latest version available: 1.7.0.1
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of files: 64,564 kB
       Homepage:http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/
       License:       Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE

*  dev-java/sun-jre-bin
       Latest version available: 1.6.0.26
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of files: 166,694 kB
       Homepage:http://java.sun.com/javase/6/
       License:       dlj-1.1

Places where you see "[ Masked ]" means that those packages haven't been
tested sufficiently to green-light them for production use under x86_64,
as distinct from "will make your dog explode and burn your house down."
But as you can see, the different JREs have wide-ranging package sizes,
whatever that implies for post-installation footprint.