[ale] Linux alternative recommendation ?

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue Oct 25 11:40:10 EDT 2011

Actually SSDs are a bit more complicated than the usual flash storage (thumb) drive.  I’ve seen models made with both flash ram and non-volatile ram with the latter being more expensive.  Also they often have redundant memory chips/dims and algorithms to evenly distribute data and insure they’re not always writing to the same spot which over time would wear them out quickly.

However, even with mechanical disks you should be doing regular backups.   No media is infallible.