[ale] expansion drive

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:44:45 EDT 2011

Have you tried to fdisk the drive?  You can do this under windows or linux.
This will create a new partition table for you, and from there you should be
able to format and create a new filesystem under Windows ( if you need
access under windows, then I would recommend that you format it under
windows.)

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> At this point I would dd the first 100mb of the drive to 0, fdisk to add a
> new partition and format it fat32, and make windows format it to ntfs.
> On Oct 24, 2011 3:57 PM, "zeb" <n4zm at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> There's the rub.  As the drive presently stands, it can't be formatted
>> with Slack  12.2 or any of the flavors of Windows that I have (98se, XP,
>> 7).  The drive is not recognized by the operating systems.
>>
>> I ran "ntfsfix" on the drive.  It reported "volume is corrupt. You
>> should run chkdsk."  Don't see how I can run chkdsk if the drive is not
>> recognized by Windows.
>>
>> Appreciate the reply.  Thanks.  Any other thoughts?
>>
>> Is a low-level format appropriate?  How would I do it?
>>
>> Regards....Zeb
>>
>> Jim Kinney wrote:
>> >
>> > In order for Linux systems to recognize and mount a drive, it needs to
>> > be a format type that's known to the running kernel. You need to
>> > either format the drive as fat32 or install ntfs tools on your Linux
>> > system. Mkfs -t ntfs will not make a working partition for several
>> > versions of ntfs tools.
>> >
>> > On Oct 21, 2011 12:05 PM, "zeb" <n4zm at mindspring.com
>> > <mailto:n4zm at mindspring.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     All:
>> >        I have a Seagate portable expansion drive that is not recognized
>> by
>> >     Slackware Linux 12.2 (or Windows 98 SE, XP, or 7).  The drive is
>> seen
>> >     during Linux boot, but it cannot be mounted.
>> >        The drive originally was formatted as NTFS.  I formatted it as
>> ext2
>> >     and was able to mount it.  I then formatted it as NTFS (using mkfs
>> -t
>> >     ntfs), and that's when the fun (or trouble) began.  I wrote Seagate
>> >     week ago, but they have not replied.  Their web  site  says they
>> >     do not
>> >     support Linux.
>> >        Anybody have any thoughts as to how I can revive this
>> paperweight?
>> >
>> >     Thanks, and regards....Zeb

"The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far
more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs,
unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never
develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of
their head like a drunk does."  -- Shane McGowan