[ale] Micro$oft blocking Linux booting in hardware

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:17:27 EDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 01:07 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
> I think the concern is that microsoft is planning to REQUIRE UEFI in
> order to boot Windows 8 and that manufacturers MAY NOT allow other
> "unauthorized" OSes to boot under UEFI (either because it's easier not
> to or possibly as an M$ requirement). There are no definitive claims
> about this in the campaign. It seems to be an effort to create a ground
> swell to make manufacturers aware before it's too late that such an
> approach would be unacceptable.
>
> If Windows 8 forces you to monkey with BIOS setting in order to boot
> over to Linux, that would suck. It would only serve to isolate Linux
> further from users with less than super-geek capabilities.
Tim, what you're saying is exactly what I said on another mail list,
(not mentioning any names but libreoffice, oh dear it slipped:-)). One
individual came after me double barreled shot gun after me, and I was
just re-commenting what someone else had said. A couple of members
seemed to have chosen to ignore me since all the shooting started.
Probably all M$ Droids or Drones, just like the Borg.