[ale] semi [OT] help recovering data from memory card

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Oct 20 11:01:15 EDT 2011

Jeff,

In this case, I prefer the new Windows way.  I keep all the warnings
turned on intentionally.  I want it to warn me if I'm about to do
something stupid or dangerous.  One day long long ago in a galaxy far
far away, I deleted an entire disk partition on a Novel file server at a
company I worked for, with one accidental command at the command line.
I spent the next 4 - 6 hours AFTER my work shift restoring the server
from tapes.  Despite the politically correct name, I like the recycle
bin too.  There have been many times I've pulled files out of the
digital trash.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 10/20/2011 9:09 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Windows doesn't have "smarts" it just assumes users are idiots so asks questions (infuriatingly more than once on occasion) when users are going to do something irrecoverable.
>
> UNIX/Linux on the other hand assumes users meant to do what they said they wanted to do and have properly configured the system to prevent bad things.  (However it is a bit annoying that many Linux flavors now automatically alias rm to "rm -i" to make it ask if you want to delete the file you just deleted.)
>
> In M$'s defense though I will say they didn't always protect users from themselves.   Back in DOS 2.0 days if you were at C>  prompt and typed "format" it would go ahead and format your C drive like you TOLD it to even though you MEANT to type "format A:".  :-)

<snip snip snip>