[ale] alternatives to Wiki info

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Oct 19 16:12:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
<savithari at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right this is very proprietary data and I cant put it outside of the
> intranet.
>
> The reason word is imp is because folks here in the office use word and
> would love to save in word.  Currently we convert to wiki then massage it
> and images are another story.
>
> Instead, I was thinking of putting the docs in Drupal or something like that
> which allows us to put our HTML content (generated from word or so) and put
> it there.
>
> But I am not sure Drupal is even an option.  I thought I pick on some brains
> to get some info.,
>
> -Narahari

If using Word is so critical, stop thinking HTML.  Word is not a good
HTML editor, and it gets worse when you go back and forth multiple
times.  The fact that Word can produce HTML is a misguided artifact of
the 90s when everyone was putting HTML export into everything.

If you need to use a desktop word processing application (e.g., Word)
then take the Documents and place them in a Document Management
System.  As JD pointed out previously, Alfresco is (I've heard) a
great open-source DMS.

It sounds like your real goal is to manage documents that are produced
in Word.  Otherwise, if you want to just convert docs to HTML and
publish them, then put them on a WebDAV share or just upload them via
FTP to any webserver.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com