[ale] Perl or Python for editing files...

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:06:14 EDT 2011

No Puppet. I wish. I have to do via script.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM, planas <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 11:55 -0500, Doug Hall wrote:
>
> For the record, I agree with Brian. There's probably already a puppet
> recipe which does what you want to do.
> <http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet_Patterns>
> Unless this is a trivial, one-time thing that will not need to be
> modified, I'd look at Puppet, first. Puppet can be used not only up
> front, for setting up "standard" systems, but it can be used for
> maintenance tasks, as well. We install Puppet clients on all our
> equipment.
>
> Puppet has its own Domain Specific Language (DSL) for getting things
> done. It executes ruby code behind the scenes, but you won't need to
> know ruby.
>
> Doug
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Brian Mathis
> <brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com> wrote:
>
> > If you are looking to do this for system deployment, you might want to
> > look into Puppet.  It has a bigger learning curve up front, but it
> > will pay off in the long run with better automation.
> >
> > In general this kind of scripting can be error prone because you need
> > to worry about cases where you run the script and only 1/2 of it works
> > (maybe because a package config file changed).  The parts that did
> > work have to be smart enough not to run again (not an easy task).
> > Once you've got the logic in the script to avoid stuff like this,
> > you're already on your way to writing a full-blown management system,
> > so you might want to start there from the beginning.
> >

>  Puppet is available in the Ubuntu Natty repositories, I assume also on the
> Onereic repositories also.

>   --
> Jay Lozier
> jslozier at gmail.com

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio a
try. www.susestudio.com.