[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 22:52:54 EDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 07:33 PM, planas wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 14:16 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:

>> >  The real problem is that there is a functional disconnect between
>> >  foundational programming concepts and GUI programming. GUIs are event
>> >  driven creatures that rarely have a linear flow. We run into this problem
>> >  all the time teaching introductory programming and invariably end up right
>> >  back at linear console programming to teach basic concepts. It's difficult
>> >  to branch out to non-linear event driven programming without a clear
>> >  understanding of basic programming concents.
>> That was my problem in the late 80's early 90's ( I maybe off a couple
>> of years), I was making an attempt to "relearn programming". Prior to
>> that I had done school projects in the mid to late 70's Cobol, and
>> Assembler (6800, Harris, and there was another machine in there
>> somewhere). My attempts to relearn hit a major roadblock when I tried
>> "Event Driven Code", to me it was another term for Spaghetti Code. My
>> gray matter turned into something worse than Spaghetti Junction and I
>> gave up.
> The little event driven code I have written was not messy when I kept
> the GUI's well organized and relatively clean. One the problems I
> noticed was a lack of good information about what makes a good GUI and
> how the various parts should interface with each other.
>
> Also, do the tools allow you to design the GUI visually then write the
> code. I found this worked well for me and I have not written any code.
Back then I don't remember being able to do it that way. I believe that
current tools do such as in LO Base. I had in the recent past poked
around in that out of curiosity. It allowed you to "draw your form"
placing objects using drag & drop onto the form and then you could write
code for the form and the objects on it. Prior to my disastrous
misadventure with Event Driven I had put together a DB based on FoxBASE+
and code for the front end which was Menu Driven.