[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Oct 14 21:35:37 EDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 02:31 PM, Byron Jeff wrote:
> Let's pick up the rest of the thread...
>

> Tackling this from a language persepctive is the wrong approach IMHO.
> Languages that are in a class together (in this instance C-syntax object oriented
> languages) are simply not different enough in most repects to be considered
> different. Strip the libraries and you'll find there are not too many
> radical differences between any of the languages you alluded to above.
>
> As for Android, if the platform was just a bit more mature, I would
> recommend looking a Scripting Layer for Android (SL4A). It facilitates
> programming the Android platform in scripting languages such as Python, PHP,
> Lua, Ruby, and Rhino (a scriptable version of Java). There's a serious
> reduction in scaffolding required to get going with SL4A as opposed to
> writing in native Java. Just as a quick example here is a 4 line Python
> program I grabbed from here:
I think Byron has the right idea.  I'd say if you know Java then C++
isn't hard to learn and vice versa.  As far as I know there is no magic
bullet.  You just have to dive in.  Personally, I read the books until
I'm bored, usually just skim them and start writing simple programs.
Starting out writing complex GUI programs is a lot like trying to race
at NASCAR without a few years on the 1/2 mile dirt tracks.

A question.  Isn't Rhino a javascript engine?

Jim.