[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Oct 14 10:24:20 EDT 2011

> You may want to consider joining the AJUG mailing list (ajug.org).
> Although it tends to have a "professional/enterprise" slant, the folks
> there are usually helpful on the (now rare) occasion when a newbie shows
> up to ask questions. They also have (or had) study groups but I don't
> know if they're still active. Check the website.

There's also an Atlanta Mobile Developers Meetup group that meets
regularly. http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Mobile-Developers-Group/  We
just missed a class for new mobile devs 3 days ago - thankfully it was
iOS centric, so we didn't miss anything important. ;) Looks like there
was a huge turnout.  I've never been to any of their meetings.

I'm an old C/C++ developer being forced into Android development for,
cough, business reasons.  Installed all the java tools, Eclipse, git
extensions, Android SDK and google recommended addons into a VM so it
didn't pollute my normal installations. Getting "hello world." up was
pretty easy.  It took more RAM, CPU and disk than I would have expected.