[ale] nailing down firefox security and privacy - PT 1

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Oct 13 21:36:11 EDT 2011

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:52:43 -0400
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a very narrow definition of malware. What term is more
> suitable? Deceitware? Clickware?
> ALL malware requires some degree of human processing.  At a minimum,
> someone must join power source to computer power input. Surely that
> act of human involvement would not relegate all forms of miscreant
> operations involving software out of the bad or 'mal' designation.
> Symantical hair-splitting rarely works well with this group. Best keep
> philosophical discussions at a high enough level to avoid overly
> passionate nuance flame wars

I don't recall ever saying that malware is required to use an exploit
to be considered malware.

It sounds like Ron's relative had to be tricked into clicking a button
in order to install this particular piece of software.  I'm only saying
that, assuming this is truly the case, no exploit was required.  The
user was just tricked into thinking they were doing the right thing.

Pat