[ale] Anyone know if this is true?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Wed Oct 12 15:27:18 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 15:13 -0400, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> 'Just so you all know, when determining how much space to assign to
> swap: Swap isn't just used for paging or virtual memory management; swap
> is also used by power management for suspend-to-disk (hibernation). '
>
> I seriously don't know, so I'm asking.

Yes, it is true.  If you have 4GB of RAM, you need at least 4GB in order
to hibernate and suspend to disk.

All the contents of RAM are written to swap and that is used to come
back up in the "saved" state.  This is also why, if you have encrypted
partitions, you need to have encrypted swap as well.

What I am confused about are the two names used to suspend:  the mode
where you use zero power and everything is written to disk and the mode
where you just shutdown the drives, screen, and only use RAM.

--
Damon
damon at damtek.com