[ale] nailing down firefox security and privacy - PT 1

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Oct 12 13:37:10 EDT 2011

Rich Faulkner wrote:
> I have yet to read this in its entirety but I do recall a court case
> where a commercial network was intruded upon and the intruder was
> found.  In the end he was off the charges because there was no notice
> posted that the network was a private network and subject to restricted
> access...thereby implying "welcome" to outside access by anyone.
>
> I for one do not broadcast SSID and use WPA2 and even lock-down access
> by MAC.  If I were to do anything contrary to locking-down the wireless
> network access I would expect uninvited "guests" to be using my
> bandwidth.  IMHO that's just common sense.  Is it illegal to enter a
> home (uninvited) where the doors are off the hinges?  Perhaps (I'm not a
> lawyer).  I do know it's illegal to enter a home (uninvited) when the
> doors are locked and dead-bolted.  IMHO the same logic applies to
> networks and our home wireless devices...an open door is an invitation
> to unwanted guests.

I don't know about a missing door, but it is most definitely illegal to
enter a residence whether the doors are locked or not.

I personally side with Michael on this one.  Just because I don't lock
something down, doesn't mean is free for anyone to use.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson