[ale] iphone smtp server

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Oct 11 15:37:43 EDT 2011

Chris Fowler wrote:
> I have a friend with an AT&T iPhone 4S.  During a trip he could receive
> email of 3G but could not send it.  The phone was unable to connect to
> the SMTP server he had programmed in the account.  Can someone tell me
> what the proper server should be?  I'm am now questioning if it was a
> Verizon phone instead.  Anyone with Verizon can tell me how to configure
> it?

A lot of that depends on who the mail provider is.  I have my iPhone 4
pulling email from 1and1.com accounts as well as gmail.

Two of the 1and1 accounts are imap, a third is pop.  In all cases the id
for them is required to be the full email address, (id at foo.com).

Do you know who hosts the email address he's trying to configure?