[ale] [OT] Virus in Raptor/Reaper operations

planas jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:22:01 EDT 2011

Hi

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 15:14 -0400, Rich Faulkner wrote:

> Found this of interest on CNN
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/10/tech/innovation/virus-hits-drone-fleet-wired/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
>
> The headline is (IMHO) sensationalized and likely blown out of
> proportion but, the prevalence of Windows based systems in our
> military infrastructure is most disturbing to me.

Having worked for DOD many, many years ago I am not surprised. Often,
truly technical decisions are not made for technical reasons but for
political reasons by orders from Washington. I remember a big push to
use off-the-shelf hardware and software for many applications even when
there were solid technical/defense reasons against.

Didn't the Air Force release a version of Linux recently, Distrowatch is
tracking a US government Linux that was recently released.

> RinL

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com