[ale] vinyl records / CD ripping

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 8 17:06:48 EDT 2011

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I noticed something missing
that's very important.  You will need a receiver with a phone input or a
pre-amp specifically designed for a turntable.  The grooves on the
record has the low frequencies attenuated,  so the preamp has to be
biased to amplify the lower frequencies more.  So even if the phono
level matched the mic level, it would sound tinny and lack any bass.