[ale] OT: satellite equipment

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Wed Oct 5 16:07:23 EDT 2011

The Ku-band dishes themselves and requisite cabling can.  There is some
free-to-air programming on Ku over the states, but not much.  Most of it is on
C-Band which requires 1+ meter dishes.  The receivers themselves will always try
to find an Echostar bird before operating so they cannot be reused for
free-to-air.