[ale] webcam privacy concerns / flash settings

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Oct 5 11:36:32 EDT 2011

Hi John,

You're welcome.  I always hope the info I post will help someone.

That WAS a good episode of Star Trek.

Under NORMAL conditions, ie no malicious websites in action and no
spyware and no viruses and properly set flash settings, nobody should be
using your camera and mic without your permission and knowledge.  As I
said before, I'm not too sure what Java can do with this type of
hardware.  However, much of what I'm trying to prevent is problems in
potential abnormal conditions.  My computer has a small LED light next
to the camera.  That's supposed to light up when the camera is on.
There is no indicator for the mic.  I don't know if the LED would
necessarily light under abnormal conditions.  Fortunately, tape is a
cross platform device.

If you disable your camera and mic by means other than tape, which is
obvious after the fact, make yourself a note in some conspicuous place.
That way, when you try to do a legitimate video conference or recording,
you'll remember - YES I disabled that, before you go through days of
troubleshooting.

Sincerely,

Ron