[ale] IEEE... Sort of maybe off topic but... Not really...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:05:39 EDT 2011

Ron, you just jabbed a nerve of mine.

In the early 80's the rules changed and recipients of federal research
grants were allowed to be sole owners of any ideas, patents, copyrights, etc
of the public funded work they did.
It has been a double edged sword that no longer provides public benefit. The
research output DOES benefit but the financial incentives muddy the waters
on the quality or scale of the benefits.
Classic example: the medical boot worn after foot injury or repair is 3
parts - the supporting molded plastic, the velcro buckles and the sole. Each
part was awarded patents and the ensemble got its own patent stack.
The boot costs less than $5 to make but the licenses run the cost to over
$30. Now the boot license kicks in and runs it to $55+. Then the usual
supply chain markups occur. So we pay $90 for a medical device that used to
be 2 sticks, an old shoe and some tape or an old belt. Does the the new
device work better than the old one? That was not studied. What was studied
was a comparison of no support vs molded plastic support on recovery
effectiveness post injury.
The same process now drives the research university expansion and much
privately-owned works as well.
It is a two edged sword.

I would like to be paid a bit every time someone uses a system or process I
set up. Residuals on geek work would be stellar! But I,  like most people,
get paid once for my effort unlike writers, actors, inventors, and the like.
The world has changed and holding on to stuff screaming "mine, mine, mine!"
is no longer a viable transaction model. I hope someone figures out a new
one soon.