[ale] IEEE... Sort of maybe off topic but... Not really...

planas jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 02:45:53 EDT 2011

Mike,

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 21:04 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> Ok...
>
> A LOT of you on this list know me an many of those know my option of Dan
> Berstein.  To say we're not generally on the same page would send out
> howls of laughter in some quarters and shivers of fear in others.
>
> All that being said...  If what he is accusing the IEEE of is even
> remotely true, we should sit up and take notice.  If you are an IEEE
> member of Computer Society member, you may wish to let them know just
> how you feel about this.
>
> http://cr.yp.to/writing/ieee.html

I think this is the general policy of most academic journals; copyright
must assigned to them with specific exceptions. This has been true for a
long time, pre-Internet. Before the Internet there was no other
reasonably efficient method of distributing papers. The problem now is
the Internet is a very disruptive technology and creates problems for
many distributors of information, music, movies, etc. The only value of
any academic journal is peer review and it may be questionable in some
areas if that is of value.

> I take what ever Dan says with a really big grain of salt but this
> time...  I just don't know.  I may have to agree with him...
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com