[ale] GPG Smartcards

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Nov 30 11:39:15 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:17:55AM -0500, David Tomaschik wrote:
>> Inspired by the upcoming keysigning...
>>
>> I am thinking about ordering more smartcard-related hardware from
>> Kernel Concepts in Germany.  I currently have a full-size smart card,
>> but am thinking of switching down to the ID-000 form factor (aka SIM
>> card size) so I don't have to carry a (moderately) large reader with
>> me.  (Hindsight is 20/20.)
>
> Do they have the "embedded" smart cards?  They look like flash drives,
> but really they contain one or more virtual reader/card pairs and
> simply interface with the host via USB.
>
> If so, please order one for me and tell me how to send you the
> moolah. :)
>
>        --- Mike

They do... they have the GPF Crypto-stick:
http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=133
or you can use the SIM breakout feature of the regular smartcard
(http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=42)
with a reader like this gemalto:
http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=119.
 I'm going to be doing the latter, so if a new version of smart card
comes out, I should be able to replace it without having to pay for
the USB bits again.  Alternatively, I could swap out cards or
otherwise have multiple uses for the reader.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com