[ale] Server distro help

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Nov 28 14:33:10 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 18:42 +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Me too. RHEL is “real” Linux and you can have just as many
> ummm….opportunities… supporting it as you do with playthings like
> Ubuntu.
>
> You can in fact download and compile packages you want so long as you
> don’t mind going away from the main reason most companies buy it in
> the first place. That is to say for the support from the distribution
> maker as well as support of 3rd party commercial products on it. RHEL
> has the highest number of these of any distro. Sure Canonical will
> sell you support but that doesn’t mean you’ll be on a par with RHEL.
>
> Isn’t Windoze the enemy here – do we now need to have distro wars?

NOW?!?!?!?!  Seriously????  Surely you jest.

I can still remember some of the SLS / Yggdrasil / Slackware / Debian /
TAMU / JE distro wars of the early to mid 90's.  I still have some of
the old Infomagic CD's with all those early (and a few still kicking
around) distros.  Slackware and Debian are two of the few to survive.

> Anyway I can live with distro wars so long as we’re all agreed vi/vim
> is far superior to emacs.

And let's not forget the KDE vs Gnome guys who were dis-invited to Eric
Raymond's "Geeks with Guns" BoF and one of the early ALS conferences we
put on.

IAC...  We're still amateurs at the distro wars.  That is one thing the
BSD crowd has us, hands down, on.  NetBSD vs FreeBSD vs OpenBSD?  Oh
hell!  Those people won't even speak to each other.  Ok...  Few people
speak to Theo anyways, unless it's through "seconds" (reference dueling
for any non-english natives on the list - the persons who carry the
dueling weapons).

> (ducks and runs)

And heads for COVER!

Regards,