[ale] Anyone using a Western Digital external HD ?

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 20:21:59 EST 2011

CT,

I am currently using external sata II drives from 80GB to 2TB and we have
done away with the enclosure entirely.
I use what we are calling a drive toaster because it is a powered usb
(oeeSATA) 2-dock thingy that can take, as hinted, 2 drives at a time.  When
I am doing something drive-intensive, like copying 50GB files back and
forth, or 1.5 million 2MB files back and forth, the drives get very hot,
but they cool down as soon as the read/write cycles are done.  These drive
toasters cost about $40 from TigerDirect or NewEgg.  They are good if you
ever have more than 1 external drive.  I haven't had any major issues using
them, however sometimes I have to manually load a drive when I insert it.
Ubuntu has a great little gui widget called a disc utility that lets you
mount drives, unmount them, format them and so on.
If you use large files (over 4GB) don't format your drives with FAT32.

Wolf

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=external+drive+toaster&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10505141576531084628&sa=X&ei=b7LFTqS9EpGFtgen0sGVCg&ved=0CFEQ8gIwAQ
This link shows the toaster I use and a few others.  Even single-slot
toasters.
I don't know if eSATA is too new or too old.  It is not on any of my
physical servers or workstations.  It would be faster than USB, if you have
a port for it.