[ale] Anyone using a Western Digital external HD ?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Nov 17 17:46:06 EST 2011

I purchased a 2TB MyBook USB3 HDD a few days ago.  Connected it via rear-USB to
my main storage server here, wiped the existing partitions and created an EXT4
partition in sdh5.  Started a copy, this new drive is intended for backups only,
and after 135GB, it stopped copying. Kicked off an rsync a few more times with
similar results. Even provided a huge area for rsync scratch.

The USB bus started kicking out errors - LOTS of errors.  umount and mount
couldn't do anything with the mount point. It was ugly.  The entire system
started getting slow. Other USB devices work well enough on this machine and
were still working. Switched to a different USB port (front) and saw similar
results after a reboot.

Rebooted this morning and the HDD wasn't seen well enough to mount, but it was
seen well enough to prevent the boot sequence from continuing.

I expect to return the drive tomorrow.

Would prefer an internal drive over an external, mainly due to the longer
standard warranty periods, but the price diff is huge now.  (1 vs 3yrs) or (2 vs
5 yrs).  I need another HDD for backups and 2TB seemed like the sweet price
point.  Should we have gotten the Seagate for $10 less with only a 1 yr warranty
instead?