[ale] Onboard RAID

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:12:41 EST 2011

Thanks Mike,

More details this is a new server (Single Proc Xeon X3440) with only 10
users, so it won't be heavily taxed. Moving the storage to a different
Linux box really isn't an option either. We're replacing an OLD server
running NT with the 2008 server.

What you are saying is that SOFTWARE is "more better" in all cases than the
BIOS based RAID configuration. OK, but does Server 2008 support RAID 10? If
not, we must rely on the BIOS RAID. If we must do that then the question
falls back to which is the better RAID option [under Windows]. I saw
something on some RAID forum that said the Adaptec was for Linux OS and the
Intel for MS OS. Since Adaptec drivers are built into Linux, that at least
makes some sense.

Regards,
Greg