[ale] Anyone using a Western Digital external HD ?

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:08:11 EST 2011

I don't have any direct experience with these, but I do have some general
comments.
First, most PCs do not have firewire ports, however, if you have one that
does, throughput should theoretically be better (theoretically because
thought firewire is much faster than USB, the internal converter board may
slow the process down to the point that it makes no difference, esp. if it
should actually be an IDE hard drive vs a SATA hard drive inside the
enclosure).
Second, if the drive would go off line at times, I suspect two things (1)
cables not securely plugged into the computer and/or the HDD enclosure and
(2) thermal issues--some of the fanless drive enclosures have had
overheating problems. You can address the thermal issue by having a small
fan blow air over the drive if it goes offline and see if it comes back
once it cools down. If you continually have overheating problems, consider
shucking the drive out of the enclosure and using it as an INTERNAL drive.
Finally, it is also possible that the drive going off line is because it is
a "green" drive that aggressively goes to sleep when not being written
to/read from (again no personal experience, but it seems reasonable that a
drive in a sealed enclosure might well be a green drive to reduce the heat
should be a big problem as a single drive at least under Windows, not sure
about how Linux handles "sleepy" hard drives.

Regards,
Greg Clifton

PS, I like your signature quotes, but wonder when the Lincoln quote was
written. Seems his prosecution of  the War Between the States would be a
rejection of that principle.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com