[ale] headphone / speaker problems

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:23:45 EST 2011

I was having this issue with Fedora 15, and the big G revealed that
it's the lack of the specific drivers for your soundcard that prevents
the headphone jack from pre-empting the speakers.  I updated my system
shortly after and rebooted, and I got the desired behavior.

So if you have the specifics for your driver, make sure it's loaded in
the kernel and reboot.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 21:17, Ron Frazier
<atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a couple of interesting experiences with my Ubuntu 11.04 (as of a
> few days ago) pc.  I thought I'd share it in case other people have the
> same issue.
>
> The first thing is, when I plug in the headphones, the external speakers
> still continue running.  I haven't found a solution to that, but have
> found a workaround.  I have the MSI 790FX-GD70 MB and I think it has a
> Realtek audio chip set.  If I'm running Windows, when I plug the
> headphone in, it pops up a dialog and asks me what I plugged in.  It
> defaults to headphone.  I acknowledge the dialog and the speakers mute.
>
> When I go to the audio preferences in Ubuntu, I have the settings for
> the sound set to 5.1 audio.  The headphones do work, as does the mic,
> but the speakers just keep running.
>
> I got around the problem by plugging in a USB audio adapter that I got
> with some headphones a couple of years ago.  Back then, I hadn't seen
> anything like this.  However, a search for USB sound card on NewEgg
> reveals about 200 options.  Once I set the audio output to the USB audio
> adapter, then the sound comes out the headphones and the speakers mute.
>
> At first, the USB adapter wouldn't work properly.  I found this article
> which said how to reset pulseaudio.
>
> http://www.ossramblings.com/using-usb-headset-adapter-ubuntu-lucid
>
> pulseaudio -k
> pulseaudio --check
>
> I have no idea what that did, but it worked.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

> call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
>
> Ron Frazier
>
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT c3energy.com

Pete Hardie