[ale] [ANNC] ALE CENTRAL MTG. for Thursday, Nov. 17th, 2011

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 02:51:56 EST 2011

The feature presentation for our ALE Central Meeting at
7:30pm on Thursday, Nov. 17th, 2011 will be:

A Pioneering Introduction to Puppet
with Matt Urbanski

Synopsis:
-- Puppet is a configuration management tool written in ruby that
allows a sysadmin to wield their influence and expertise over far
more machines than one could without it.  It uses a simple but
powerful DSL which I would like to introduce to everyone who is
not familiar with it, and open a dialogue about how our role as
admins is changing with the scalability problems we are faced with.

Bio:
– Matt Urbanski is a functional programmer turned sysadmin. His last
awesome job was in high frequency trading, administrating a super
low latency MAN and optimizing trading algorithms. He also worked for
an advertising firm in Europe administrating hundreds of cloud based
apache instances for serving ads where they were needed, when they
were paid for, using puppet.
- Matt is currently working for a medtech/bioinformatics firm, selling
data to oncologists and the pharma industry.  He is also involved in
a new professional group focusing on agile system administration
tools and techniques: <http ://smartopsatlanta.org>

Our ALE Central meetings are usually held at Emory
Law School in the Gambrel Hall lecture room 1C.
Our meeting time frame is 7:30pm to ~9:30pm
Directions to Emory Law School can be found at
<http://mail.ale.org/?page_id=2>