[ale] How do I NOT use Unity and DO use Gnome 2 in Ubuntu 11.x?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:22:02 EST 2011

The sooner you suffer through the migration to gnome 3, the faster you will
gain proficiency.
Gnome 2 is dead.
There's a fledgling project to glue gnome 2 into mint and support it but no
one from gnome is on it.
If you don't want things changing, stick with a long term distro like the
lts from ubuntu or centos. Security and bug fixes get back ported but
featured are frozen.
If you want cutting edge, the feature changes are a double edged sword.