[ale] AARG! Manual software updates, Sun Java, LibreOffice, help

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Nov 7 15:37:51 EST 2011

On 11/07/2011 03:28 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> Or, I would suspect, to install software not included in your distribution.  :)
>
> Or do you have a distro that includes everything you need?

Rarely do I find that the distro doesn't have what I need.  There are
times that I don't use the distribution package manager (e.g., python
modules that I install in my home directory, obviously I'm not going to
worry about registering those with the package manager).  Of course,
software that I am developing also qualifies, and that is usually
installed either in /usr/local, /opt, or ${HOME}/.local depending on
what it is and why I installed it.

Mostly, though, such things are in ${HOME} and destroyed when I no
longer need them.  Then they're always properly up-to-date when I use
them again, because I pull them back down.  (Also, I will install things
in ${HOME} to see if a newer release fixed a bug, or whatever.
Basically, though, only development and testing.)

	--- Mike