[ale] Linux swap space vs hibernate, power shutdown settings

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Nov 7 14:20:48 EST 2011

These are some good points.  Comments inline.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 11/7/2011 11:27 AM, David Ritchie wrote:
> A couple of points regarding APC UPSes:
>
> 1) The batteries are replaceable, through the trap door on the bottom
> for the smaller ones.APC sells batteries that directly plug in, but
> probably at a bit more money. There are other local sources for these
> 2) The SLA batteries really only have a 2-3 year life span. You can
> buy replacements at Batteries Plus - prices there are better if you
> have
> a commercial account (even if you pay cash for everything). There are
> probably other places to get batteries, but Batteries Plus are very
> available, at least in Atlanta. How old are the batteries in the unit?

My UPS is 2-3 years old, but rarely have the batteries ever been
drained.  It never has run more than 4 minutes at a 300 W load.  The
battery is just too small.

> 3). You might consider a power strip up and then connecting a couple
> of  100w lamps up as a test to see how long these will carry a load.

Good idea.  I don't care if the light bulbs crash.  I guess you can
still get 100 W incandescent bulbs.  The govt. has been talking about
outlawing them.

> 4) You can get Kill-a-Watt meters cheap off of eBay, which are
> usefully for evaluating loads and voltages.They are also nice to have
> around
> general knowledge of how much power a particular device uses. A good
> working number for cost in Atlanta about $1.50/watt-year to any device
> that is used 24x365.

2nd that motion.  I have a couple of Kill-A-Watt EZ's from Home Depot.
These are really handy, and this model will allow you to set your
electric rate per kilowatt hour.  Then it will accumulate the cost of
running whatever is plugged into it.  The devices cost about $ 20.

I think your cost figure is a bit high.  According to
http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/ , the average cost for
electricity in July (I believe) was 12.18 cents / KWh.  So, if you're
running a 1 W device for 24 Hr. / day, it will run for 8760 hours and
consume 8760 Wh or 8.760 KWh of energy.  At 12.18 cents / KWh, the total
would be $ 1.07.  By the way, the residential rate from Sawnee EMC is
about 9 cents / KWh.

I like to think in terms of cost per month.  If you think of a 100 W
load, 24 Hr / Day, the math works out as follows.

100 W = .1 KW     .1 KW * 24 Hr / Day * 30 Days / Month * 12.18 cents /
KWh = $ 8.77 / month.